Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Yay! It's the year of the Dog! Chew toys for everyone! I love the Lunar New Year (I'm politically correct). In case you were too lame to follow through with your resolutions you made before the Western New Year, the ever generous fates have given you a second chance. Lunar New Year is also more fun, especially in New York. You don't just count down, yell "Happy New Year!" and go to sleep. You have a party at night, you go to sleep, and then you wake up and party all day. The years themselves are user-friendly. Western years are just numbers. 2004... 2005... 2006... boring. But the Lunar years have mascots. Horse, Rooster, Dragon, Monkey, twelve different animals. You get labeled by what year you were born in.

Ping: "So, what's your animal?"
Pong: "I'm a rat."
Ping: "Ha ha! You suck! I'm a dragon, fool!"
Pong: Hangs head in shame.

Then you can use your family members like trading cards.

Pong: "I have two monkeys, one rooster, a horse, three rabbits, and one tiger. If my mom gets pregnant soon, I might get a pig before the year's over."
Ping: "Awsome! If your uncle marries my first cousin once removed, we'll have a complete set!"

Of course, there are special dishes prepared for the different years.

Nephew: "Hey Uncle, what year is this again?"
Uncle: "Dog."
Grandfather: "Speaking of which, dinner's ready!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home